What the Birds Say-A Winter Poem


You could say
(and you would be correct)
the mottled, colorless sky
leaves one bereft of brightness
this time of year.
You could say (see above)
the empty, lifeless branches
are dull, dormant gray/brown
slender swords against
said mottled sky.
You could say (well, you know) 
there's little beauty 
in such poor adornment,
small pleasure in the drab and drear view.

On the other hand, consider~
this backdrop reveals the birds best,
awakens ones eyes to their
blazing joy
as they dive into their days
zooming messages across the sky
and voicing these words
with their flying song,
"Faithful, faithful, faithful."
~~~~~~~~~
I'm beginning to think Winter is my favorite season as I watch the birds.  Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Great full, uplifting poem, Jody. I especially like "as they dive into their days" and "poor adornment." Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Geoff. I appreciate your words very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I like the contrast in this a lot. The birds have left our feeders for now, I miss them.

    ReplyDelete